A Development Update …

With academic year finally finished and all work submitted I’ve finally had the free time to be able to do a bit of casual development without worrying that I should be doing something else instead. The result of that is Hexagons!

For quite a while now I’ve been wanting to try my hand at developing a game based on hexagonal tiles, so that’s what I did. Below is a small .webm of what it looked like after 3 nights of development, a total of maybe 15 hours. Continue reading “A Development Update …”

New year resolutions for game development

It’s that time of the year again. The time where everyone makes empty promises to themselves about what they’ll achieve this year, while telling themselves it will be different this time that they’ll actually achieve something. Well…

This year will be different.

I won’t be setting personal resolutions. I’ll be setting professional ones. Resolutions that will help further Indie Voodoo. Resolutions that involve ambitions I’ve had for a while. Continue reading “New year resolutions for game development”

Started a new project … here’s the result

I decided to start making a random platformer style game today.  Mainly just so I can keep honing my skills.

I’ve decided I’m no artist so I won’t even waste my own time trying to draw my own assets. I saw a recent post on reddit’s /r/gamedev advertising free art assets from a pixel artist and game designer. I had a look and thought they were nice and made my mind up to use them. Here’s a link to the asset’s I used. Although I decided on Ansimuz’s Grotto Escape assets, his original post on reddit was advertising his RPG Town Pack, the Grotto Escape pack really struck a chord with me and was instantly weaving threads of ideas together in my mind.

Continue reading “Started a new project … here’s the result”

First Foray into Procedural Content Generation

I’ve made the first step. It may not be a big one but it’s a start. I’ve managed to make a small program that displays an array of “pixelData” to screen, which may seem small but its what it can be used for that makes it big.

RANDOM NOISEThe above picture is my output. All I’ve done is assigned a random number to the red, green, and blue values of each pixel, and that’s given me noise.

Of course right now it’s technically not procedural generation it’s just random generation. Which will make a nice foundation for me to delve into procedural content.

For my next step I’ll be implementing my own version of noise probably using either Perlin or Open Simplex.

The code for this can be found on my Github, it’s tagged as v1.0 versions after that will likely have added features.

 

 

 

Cubes!

It may have taken me a while but I have got multiple cubes rendering on screen in my Voxel Game.

Here’s a quick screen cap.

CUBES!

Doesn’t look like much at the moment, but now I’ll be able to populate a 3D array of cubes and then turn that into a landscape.

First of all I’m going to work on a proper camera class.

Here’s the GitHub repo if you want to check out the code, feel free to clone and play around with it.