I’ve made the first step. It may not be a big one but it’s a start. I’ve managed to make a small program that displays an array of “pixelData” to screen, which may seem small but its what it can be used for that makes it big.
The above picture is my output. All I’ve done is assigned a random number to the red, green, and blue values of each pixel, and that’s given me noise.
Of course right now it’s technically not procedural generation it’s just random generation. Which will make a nice foundation for me to delve into procedural content.
For my next step I’ll be implementing my own version of noise probably using either Perlin or Open Simplex.
The code for this can be found on my Github, it’s tagged as v1.0 versions after that will likely have added features.
It may have taken me a while but I have got multiple cubes rendering on screen in my Voxel Game.
Here’s a quick screen cap.
Doesn’t look like much at the moment, but now I’ll be able to populate a 3D array of cubes and then turn that into a landscape.
First of all I’m going to work on a proper camera class.
Here’s the GitHub repo if you want to check out the code, feel free to clone and play around with it.
I’ve decided to start a blog to document my progress in game development. So we’ll see how it goes.