New Year … New games?

It’s been exactly one year since my previous New Year post, we’re now a week into the new year and I’ve yet to set myself some proper resolutions.

I’d like to have something to focus on with game development, my idea right now is that I need to work on some smaller games, I need to reduce the scope of the games so that I can start and finish them in a reasonable time frame, I don’t want to be starting projects that are going to take all year to finish. I think that working at a pace of one game a month should fix this, I’ll be able to release a game every month and really expand my portfolio, they will all get released for free on either or the android Play store.

Aside from game development, this year will involve me graduating from University and I’ll be spending a lot of time applying for jobs, and if I am successful I will be busy for most of the latter half of the year, I hope to still be able to spend time developing games though.

So altogether two main resolutions:

  1. Release a game each calendar month
    • Keep them small of scope
  2. Get a job after rgaduation
    • No more part time jobs!
    • Keep on developing

Not enough development … too much VR

It’s been three weeks since my last post, and I haven’t done anything further with my Hexagon game, or anything really. I’ve been too busy with other things, namely Insomnia Gaming Festival.

Continue reading “Not enough development … too much VR”

A Development Update …

With academic year finally finished and all work submitted I’ve finally had the free time to be able to do a bit of casual development without worrying that I should be doing something else instead. The result of that is Hexagons!

For quite a while now I’ve been wanting to try my hand at developing a game based on hexagonal tiles, so that’s what I did. Below is a small .webm of what it looked like after 3 nights of development, a total of maybe 15 hours. Continue reading “A Development Update …”

New year resolutions for game development

It’s that time of the year again. The time where everyone makes empty promises to themselves about what they’ll achieve this year, while telling themselves it will be different this time that they’ll actually achieve something. Well…

This year will be different.

I won’t be setting personal resolutions. I’ll be setting professional ones. Resolutions that will help further Indie Voodoo. Resolutions that involve ambitions I’ve had for a while. Continue reading “New year resolutions for game development”

It’s been a while …

So it’s been a while since I last posted (around 7 months). I intend to start blogging again.

Here’s a quick catchup of the last 7 months

  • I finished my second year of uni. On track for a first
  • Started my year off from uni to set-up my company Indie Voodoo along with a fellow student.
  • Released our first app – Stacky Box
    • Available on the Play Store
    • And the Amazon App Store
    • It’s free but does have Ads. It’s simple but I’d appreciate the download/install.
  • We’re working on our second title. It’s a 3D game that’s going to be released on mobile first, and possibly PC after if it feels good as a PC game. Releasing: Hopefully this year.
  • I also attended Insomnia 55 as a Volunteer Team Leader. I was managing the VIP Area and met some really cool guys, and some not so cool guys, I hate Sidemen, they are not cool! However Dan, The Diamond Minecart is an incredibly down to earth and nice guy.

What’s going to happen next?

  • I’m going to start blogging more.
  • I’ll be volunteering at Insomnia 56 as well (hopefully). It’s at a new venue! Birmingham NEC the biggest convention centre in the UK!
  • Lots of GameDev stuff!


Started a new project … here’s the result

I decided to start making a random platformer style game today.  Mainly just so I can keep honing my skills.

I’ve decided I’m no artist so I won’t even waste my own time trying to draw my own assets. I saw a recent post on reddit’s /r/gamedev advertising free art assets from a pixel artist and game designer. I had a look and thought they were nice and made my mind up to use them. Here’s a link to the asset’s I used. Although I decided on Ansimuz’s Grotto Escape assets, his original post on reddit was advertising his RPG Town Pack, the Grotto Escape pack really struck a chord with me and was instantly weaving threads of ideas together in my mind.

Continue reading “Started a new project … here’s the result”

First Foray into Procedural Content Generation

I’ve made the first step. It may not be a big one but it’s a start. I’ve managed to make a small program that displays an array of “pixelData” to screen, which may seem small but its what it can be used for that makes it big.

RANDOM NOISEThe above picture is my output. All I’ve done is assigned a random number to the red, green, and blue values of each pixel, and that’s given me noise.

Of course right now it’s technically not procedural generation it’s just random generation. Which will make a nice foundation for me to delve into procedural content.

For my next step I’ll be implementing my own version of noise probably using either Perlin or Open Simplex.

The code for this can be found on my Github, it’s tagged as v1.0 versions after that will likely have added features.





It may have taken me a while but I have got multiple cubes rendering on screen in my Voxel Game.

Here’s a quick screen cap.


Doesn’t look like much at the moment, but now I’ll be able to populate a 3D array of cubes and then turn that into a landscape.

First of all I’m going to work on a proper camera class.

Here’s the GitHub repo if you want to check out the code, feel free to clone and play around with it.